8/14/10

Social Distortion

Social Distortion: an American punk rock band (also referred to as cowpunk or rockabilly) formed in 1978 in Fullerton, California.
Their iconic logo representing lead singer, Mike Ness' struggle with drug addiction.

Social D, Social D, SOCIAL Deeeeeeeeeee! I may have been mildly excited on Friday to see Social Distortion play live at the Knitting Factory. Who am I kidding, "mildly?" ha! No, I was beyond excited.  When Friday arrived, I was sooo eager with anticipation that I easily could have passed out from holding my breath and jumping up and down for so long.  Literally, I think I did this all the way from punching out at work to the ticket line.  I may have even ran into a parked car in the parking garage because I was so preoccupied with my excitement.  When we got to the venue, it was so packed that we had to play Marco-Polo in order to track down Gill.  Eventually though, we found him and of course Alby made friend's quick with both Gill and our neighbor's.  Not just because they were in such close proximity, but also because she had had a little whiskey before the show. Oh, Alby.

I digress, the set list was fantastic!  I always enjoy shows where I can sing the words to every song.  Around about the third song, "Prison Bound" I believe, I could feel the euphoria take over.  It's a feeling of terror and bliss all at once, where the music shakes your core and your spine trembles with the beat of the base.  This euphoric feeling is what I go to shows for.  It's honestly the only moment in all my life's experiences where I think about one thing and one thing only, the music that shakes me.  It's the only time that I truly feel okay, like the world stopped spinning and all my thoughts and worries just drain from my brain and everything is going to be just fine.  So thank you Social D, this feeling was much needed.  oh and p.s. thanks for drawing such a sweaty crowd of fans. I don't think I've ever smelled that bad after a show.

The night got even better with our trip to Wendy's.  It was about midnight and we had a hankering for delicious chocolate frosties! So we drove up to the drive-through window thinking that they'd be closed.  But to our pleasant surprise, they were not!! And well, let's just say I think we scared the Wendy's lady with our gregarious excitement.  Oh how I savored that frosty to the very last drop.  As I write this, I am reminded of a commercial for Sonic I've seen on TV recently.  It highlights how Sonic uses real ice cream in their shakes by showing two guys at a Wendy's drive-through inquiring about what ingredients are in a frosty...and well their whole point is moot because all I want after seeing that commercial is a frosty. a delicious frosty. so delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment