![]() |
| that's me in the camo |
![]() |
| this was taken by the talented and beautiful Rooster |
Collapsed on the cold concrete floor, in front of the open warehouse door and big box fan, I panted in slow motion. Ah-huh. Ah-huh. Clear, round stars buzzed around my eyes. A blurry outline of Rae floated above me. Or maybe it was a Muppet or an alien. She tapped my helmet and said, "4:09." That's nice. I didn't comprehend what was said until Barbie, not the plastic kind, handed me my water and I took a sip. 20 laps in 4 minutes and 9 seconds AND IN 90 degree heat! I am proud to say that, not only did I pass my draft laps, I also shaved ten seconds of my total time.
This was just the beginning. The following weekend I passed my rules/skills test and endured a brutal league scrimmage. I've skated every day for the past three months and have yet to miss a single league practice; hard work surprisingly pays off. Ha! so cliche. But oh...so...true. In all honesty, I have never felt more welcome and supported than the moment I was invited to join the Treasure Valley Roller Girls as a league skater this past Sunday. I have and will continue to learn fantastical things from all the women and refs that I skate with. No words can describe the feeling of euphoria and accomplishment that has overcome me.
The only thing I can do is lace up skates and relish the moment.
p.s. please help me figure out a skate name
here are my ideas...
Molten Molly
Malicious Mabel
Lemon Harangue Pie
Reese S. Smash'Emtopieces
Who Clair S.
Gorange Sickle
Nancy Hurl (for all you librarians out there)
Ruby Not So Slow Ho (for any Rancid fans)
my family and close friends are driving me mad. they keep suggesting names that other skaters already have (http://www.twoevils.org/rollergirls/). As great as June CartHer Smash is, SOMEONE already has that name.
update: after input on facebook and a suggestion/heated debate with a fellow skater, I have chosen to call myself "Lemon Harangue Die" #3.14
neeeerdy, just the way I like it
thanks Barreta!
xoxox
-Lemon


No comments:
Post a Comment