sigue no mas: meaning "please continue", Cuencanos love to use the expression "no mas" as a very polite way of expressing something which is confusing because "no mas" in Spanish translates to "no more"...and I will do just that, continue to rant until I leave this silly country
feliz cumpleaños: "happy birthday" in Spanish
Chuchaqui: "hungover" in native Quichwa language
día ochenta y cuatro: 4/4/2010 just one thing...feliz cumple ("happy b-day") Trent!
I've always wanted to jump out of a giant cake and shimmy around for someone's b-day, that'd be fun
día ochenta y cinco: Monday I cooked an American "thank you" dinner for my host family. Multiple times Nancy our maid came in to check on me (I still think she believes I don't know how to cook, oh and side note here I posted earlier that she was 16 but recently learned that she is actually 18 and also I have come to enjoy Nancy's enlightening presence, her laughter sure cuts the tension between my host brother and me, she's a very sweet girl). I digress, my host mom also commented that being in the kitchen suits me well, so I will take that as a complement...I think? I cooked corn chowder, brown sugar carrots, garlic mashed potatoes (better that Uncle Lyle's even), tomato salad with honey mustard dressing, and for dessert cake mix cobbler with peach and pecan filling. after eating my host mom asked if the mashed potatoes were a Mexican recipe...ha! and my host dad asked me to marry him...double ha! anyway together Nancy and I ate way too much cobbler especially since we both knew how much butter was put in there...oh soooo much butter.

día ochenta y seis: fuck homework. I hate it. especially in large quantities. but nevertheless, I will push on and keep my nose to the grind stone. I also have gripe :( my throat is sore and I have a runny nose. wasn't I just sick two weeks ago too?
día ochenta y ocho: I finished all of my school work and therefore treated myself to a pair of cheap jelly shoes and pan con queso (the most delicious bread I've ever had, I think its savoriness has something to do with that fact that it was a victory purchase..."here monique eat this bread, you deserve it!") then I went to buy dad a postcard at Libre Mundi but they didn’t have any. I was sad. but, two business guy from Etapa said they had packages of them at their office (sketchy?...no not really) and so I made friends with Andres and Bernardo, they tried to teach me French and gave me a free postcards and a calendar too.

ahhh, men in suits, aren't they adorable? well maybe not that kind of suit but anyhow, Bernardo and Andres wore suits ;)
día ochenta y nueve: isn't it amazing how packing when you want to go home takes less than 20 min whereas it took me the entirety of a week before coming to Ecuador to pack...most because I procrastinated.

No comments:
Post a Comment